Conditions of Entry
Conditions of Entry
1. The Challenge is organised and managed by Extra Mile Challenges (“EMC”) a company limited by guarantee (company registration number 4787529, registered charity number 1100243). No contract exists between any individual or team and the commercial supporters or sponsors of EMC or any of them.
2. Participants must be aged 18 or over on the day immediately preceding the first planned day’s cycling, unless a director of EMC agrees that an identified younger person may participate, at the request of and cycling at all times in close company with an adult taking responsibility for the minor’s welfare. Neither EMC nor anyone acting on its behalf will be responsible for the welfare of anyone under the age of 18.
3. Entries are not confirmed until the team’s entry fee has been paid in full.
4. Every team must appoint a team leader, through whom all correspondence with EMC can be conducted. All information provided to the team leader shall be taken to have been given to every member of the team.
5. Each participant must provide EMC, prior to the start of the Challenge, with emergency contact details of a person who will be contactable at all times from the start of the Challenge until its conclusion. The emergency contact must not be a person participating in the Challenge.
6. Everyone taking part in the Challenge shall be taken to have accepted these conditions of entry and to have agreed to comply with EMC’ Safety and Welfare Guidelines, accessible at www.extra-mile.org.uk/safety.
8. EMC reserves the right at any time:
1. to change any of the route, accommodation, channel crossing and other arrangements for the Challenge; and/or (if EMC considers it necessary through any cause beyond its control) to cancel the Challenge.
2. No such change or cancellation, and no withdrawal from the Challenge by any team or individual, shall entitle anyone to a refund of the entry fee or any part of it or to any other compensation. Any savings resulting from cancellation or other material change in the arrangements for the Challenge may be used by EMC to defray its expenses and to donate any surplus to charity in accordance with these conditions.
9. Once a reservation and deposit have been received by EMC, the deposit is non-refundable. No refund of the deposit or entry fee, or any part of them, will be provided in any circumstances except at the unfettered discretion of EMC.
10. Except to the extent that liability cannot by law be excluded:
1. EMC shall not be liable for any loss damage injury or death however caused, arising from or in connection with the participation of any person in the Challenge;
2. No commercial supporter or sponsor of EMC shall be liable to any person for any loss damage injury or death however caused arising from or in connection with the participation of any person in the Challenge.
11. Every participant must effect, for the duration of the Challenge, insurance with a reputable insurer sufficient in the participant’s own judgment to compensate them, and any person to whom they may be liable, in the event of injury, death, damage to or loss of property, cancellation of the Challenge and any other risks they consider appropriate. EMC shall have no liability in any such circumstances except to the extent (if any) that liability cannot by law be excluded.
12. Every team (and each participant where individual entry is invited by EMC) must, in addition to the entry fee, pay to EMC as soon as practicable and in any event within two months after the last day of the Challenge all sums they have raised by way of sponsorship, and being at least such minimum amount as EMC has published in connection with the Challenge. Each member of a team is jointly and severally responsible for this minimum sponsorship commitment.
13. Each team (or individual in the case of individual entry) may select up to two registered charities to which a proportion (published by EMC in connection with the Challenge) of their sponsorship money is to be donated. Where more than one charity is nominated EMC shall pay that amount in such proportions as the team leader (or individual entrant as appropriate) has notified in writing to EMC within two months after the last day of the Challenge. If no apportionment is specified then the relevant sum shall be allocated equally between the nominated charities or, if none, between the charities selected by EMC. The remainder of the team’s or individual entrant’s sponsorship money will be donated to the charities selected by EMC as published in the information it issues in connection with the Challenge. EMC shall allocate tax it reclaims under the Gift Aid scheme in the manner specified in the information it publishes in connection with the Challenge.
14. The team leader (or individual entrant as appropriate) must provide to EMC on request and in any event prior to the start of the Challenge the correct legal title, charity registration number, address and a contact name for each charity selected by their team.
15. EMC aims to distribute to charity the whole of the sponsorship funds raised by those participating in the Challenge, but reserves the right to draw upon such funds to meet the cost of administration and of the Challenge if it considers that to be necessary, in such manner as it shall determine in its unfettered discretion. The balance of all sponsorship funds after any such deduction shall be donated to charity in accordance with Condition 12 above.
16. Photographs, videos or other recordings may be made of the Challenge or elements of it. EMC may use any such matter in future EMC publications – online and/or in the media – to help publicise the Challenge and its future events. If you do not wish your image or voice to be used in such a manner you must notify EMC in writing before the start of the Challenge.
17. Every participant undertakes to comply with these conditions and any other reasonable regulations rules or directions notified to them or their team leader (as appropriate) on behalf of EMC in connection with the organisation and running of the Challenge and the collection and distribution of sponsorship money. Every participant must sign the form provided by EMC undertaking to comply with these conditions.
18. EMC can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at its registered office Woodside House, Carlton Road, Felmersham, Bedford MK43 7JL.